Tuesday, May 13, 2014

When I Don't Feel Like Running...

While I aim to run at least three times per week, I need other activities and workouts to do on the other days.  I usually give myself one day off a week, with no physical activity, not because I WANT to, but because I know I need to.  
Hot Hula Trial Class at Lady Fit


I belong to two gyms, one of which is closing in June, so I'm frantically on the hunt for a new place.  I am a member at Healthtrax Fitness & Wellness and at Lady Fit Studio (the one that's closing).  At Healthrax, I worked with a personal trainer for about eight months.  Although expensive, it was a good way for me to start feeling comfortable with working out again.  After the surgeries I had, I wasn't entirely sure what exercises I should and could be doing, so it was good to have professional guidance.  Healthtrax does offer group classes, but I find that the crowd is on the older side, so I haven't found a class there that meets my needs yet.  On the same page, however, because the crowd is older, I feel more comfortable lifting weights there. The previous gyms I've belonged to were full of guys and gals looking to date each other- and in turn, resulted in a lot of awkward staring.  I don't feel that at Healthtrax.  Lady Fit is an amazing group fitness class studio.  There are a wide variety of classes- p90X, interval training, piloxing (pilates and boxing combined- my fave!), Kangoo Jumps, step class, Hot Hula, pilates, yoga... just to name a few.  I try to go to at least two classes a week, and four of my friends are members there- so we usually go together.

One of my best pals, Kristin, and I hiking Case Mountain
In addition to weight training, group classes, and runs, I try to mix it up a little and do other forms of activity.  Now that it's warm, I am back to my outdoor activities! I love playing tennis, hiking, I play in a kickball league that meets once per week, and I'm attempting golf this year.  I love moving around and staying active, so I'll try pretty much anything!

What do you do to supplement your running?  

How do you feel about group classes vs. solo workouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment