Thursday, May 8, 2014

My Running Journey

My running journey began long, long ago.  Growing up in the Midwest, I was an active little pie.  Running through fields, playing every sport I could, climbing trees.  I played softball, soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, dance… and loved them all.  When I moved to Connecticut, it was time for middle school and high school. I decided to narrow down my love for activities to one or two things.  I stuck with dance- I had been taking lessons since I was old enough to walk, and running.  I participated in a co-ed cross country group in middle school- there were three people in the group, but it was a blast.  Once high school came, I was on the regionally recognized competition dance team, and the track and field team.  I ran two hurdle events and once in a while would run the 4x400m race.

Once high school was over, I decided on a small state university in Connecticut, to pursue a business degree.  While there, I continued to take dance classes, as well as venture on a few weekly runs.  I never was fully dedicated to running, but used my two or three weekly runs as a way to relieve the stresses of college and a way to stay in shape.

Post college, I moved back home to Wethersfield, CT, and started looking for a job.  I was running an average of two-three times per week.  My mom had run the Hartford half marathon, and that inspired me to do the same.  I started a light training program, when I began feeling intense pain in my feet.  Bunions had always been an issue for me- I inherited them genetically (thanks mom!), and with my demanding dance schedule, they intensified and got worse.  I went to a podiatrist when the pain got to the point of affecting my daily life.  I was not at all surprised when my doctor recommended having the bunions removed- it was something I'd always thought about, but never had the time to do.  Since I was recently graduated and unemployed, I decided to schedule the surgeries, the first being in July 2012.

Here I am, almost two years from the date of the first surgery, and I am just now getting back to running.  It has been such a long, painful, frustrating process, and I am still not completely satisfied with the results.  Even though the situation is less than desirable, I am determined to complete my goal that started long ago of finishing that half marathon.  This is my documentation of my ups and downs in the process of completing my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment