Monday, May 26, 2014

Inspiration

My biggest source of inspiration is a group called iRun4.  This is an amazing, incredible, magnificent group that's conducted via social media.  The group matches able bodied runners with individuals, "buddies", who aren't physically able to run, due to illness or special needs.  The buddies act as "coaches" for the runners, and in turn, the runners dedicate their runs and workouts to their buddies! I get super emotional talking about this group. It is just such a simple thing, running for someone and accomplishing a goal, but many of the buddies have accomplished so much more than I ever will.  I have yet to be matched with a buddy... I am currently #1,615 on the wait list (it updates weekly), which is well over 3,000 people!  There are about 100-150 matches made a week, so I'm really, really hoping to be matched by the October Hartford half marathon!  For now, I dedicate all my runs/workouts to my wait list friends, my future buddy (who I am SO excited to get to know), and anyone else I know personally that needs some miles.


Daniella after a runDisney race.
Daniella is another source of inspiration.  She is the sister of one of my friends from college.  She has an infectious positive attitude about everything, and is the most enthusiastic person I've ever met.  She is also an incredible runner.  She has completed several marathons, and she is obsessed with runDisney.  When I messaged her about my goal of a half marathon, she was SO supportive, offered so much advice, and told me that I would do great.  It was refreshing to know that I have someone to talk to if I needed advice or support.  I told Daniella all about iRun4, and she joined the same day I did, and she is one spot above me on the wait list!  Someone is going to be very lucky to have her as a runner, and I aspire to conquer my running goals like she has!


"little" brother Evan, mom, dad, me, Emmett (Kelsey's husband), Kelsey
My family is my other inspiration.  Though they don't run as often now, my parents are both are quite accomplished runners.  My dad, Rick, is huge into reffing basketball, and running here and there; he has run the NYC Marathon! My mom, Cindy, has run the Hartford Half Marathon several times, as well as a 20k, and a triathlon.  Seeing her run the Hartford Half was what made me want to run it.  My little brother, Evan (okay... he's not so little.  He is 6'5"!!!) ran cross country in high school, and is very into working out these days.  My sister, Kelsey practices yoga often and is a nutrition freak!  My sister's husband, Emmett, is also into working out, going to the gym every day on his lunch break. Overall, having such a health/exercise minded family has really inspired me to try and have their mindset.

Where do you find inspiration?

Do you have someone you run for?  Have you ever heard of iRun4?

No comments:

Post a Comment