Monday, May 12, 2014

The Tale of the Double Bunionectomy

When I tell people that I had a double bunionectomy they look at me as though I have nine heads.  A bunion, or a hallux abducto valgus deformity, is an enlargement of bone or tissue around the join at the head of the big toe.  It's an unsightly and painful deformity, that can be genetically inherited, or developed from certain activities or shoes.  For me, it was a combination of genetics and shoes- dance shoes.  I was always a little self conscious about my bunions, and I found that as I got older, they became more painful.  I hadn't really considered bunion surgery until...

I went to the podiatrist for an issue unrelated to my bunions, but each time I was with the doctor, I felt myself complaining about the pain or the look of my bunions.  I talked with my doctor, and because I had just graduated and wasn't yet employed, we decided this was a good time to go for bunion surgery.  



The day after the first surgery
I went in for the first of two surgeries on July 16, 2012.  I chose to have the right foot done first, to get the no driving part of things out of the way.  The typical recovery time for an Austin bunionectomy is 4-6 weeks in an air cast, switching to a surgical shoe for several weeks, then slowly incorporating walking back into daily routine.  Around six months is typical for full functioning activity.  I was right on schedule with the right foot.  Week four, I switched to the surgical shoe, week six I was back in normal shoes.  This first of two  surgeries was a breeze.  The scar healed great, my foot looked like a "normal" foot, and the pain was gone.  I was thrilled. I went ahead and scheduled the left foot.

October 10, 2012, I went for the second surgery, on my left foot.  As soon as I was awoke from the anesthesia, I knew something felt off.  My doctor explained that when inserting the screws into my bones, my bones crumbled.  She attempted to insert the screws SIX times.  She warned me that this foot was probably going to be very painful during the healing process.  She was so, so right.  The pain was terrible, the scar was discolored and unsightly, and visibly, it looked like the bunion was still there.  I knew going into the surgery there was a possibility of other issues and there was a possibility of the bunion coming back or reforming.  I just thought that because the first one went so smoothly, that the second one would follow suit.

Today, about two years after the first surgery, I have mixed feelings about it.  Even though I can still walk and run, most of me regrets having the surgeries, because I've developed numerous new ailments.  I've developed a new issue with my left foot, that will result in surgery if the pain persists, I've developed muscle spasms, I see a chiropractor regularly for adjustments (I feel out of line after being in a cast for 2+ months), I gained weight during the recovery period, and I still feel pain or discomfort on a daily basis.  I had to get reacquainted with my feet, learn what I could and couldn't do, and a lot of things I previously did could no longer be done (dance, for example). But, alas, I can't go back in time, and I can't reverse the procedure, so now I just have to be cautious, and manage the pain.  It's definitely made me appreciate the fact that I still am able to move and run, and I feel lucky that I'm able to work towards my goal of the half marathon.

Have you ever had a surgery that implicated your running or workouts? How did you deal with the repercussions (if any)?

No comments:

Post a Comment