Monday, June 2, 2014

The Chaos That Was My Weekend

I have a tendency to go to bed at insanely early hours on Sunday nights.  Like... two weeks ago, I was tucked in and sound asleep by 6:30 pm.  Last night was no exception, in bed and lights out at 8:30.  I had a pretty exhausting weekend, and several events in the past few days made me really wish I carried my cell phone with me while I run.

I decided to get my Saturday 4 mile run in on Friday night because of weekend confusion.  The sun was shining and I set out on my run around 5:15.  Around 5:20, rain clouds moved in and it began to sprinkle.  Like, one drop every 20 seconds- not bad.  I got to the end of mile 3, and it was sprinkling a little harder.  Mile 3 is right near my boyfriend's parents' house, and his mother was outside and asked if I wanted a ride; I declined and claimed "a little rain never hurt anyone!".  A few minutes later.... downpour.  I mean, torrential rain- lightning, thunder, painful raindrops.  I stopped my watch and huddled under a low tree for about 5 minutes, and contemplated what to do in this situation.  I wished I had carried my cell phone so I could have called someone for a ride.  I decided that I just needed to book it home, so I started my watch and ran really fast home.  When I walked in the front door, sopping wet... my mom was grabbing her keys to drive and come find me.  I'm trying to tell myself that it was "refreshing" and that "I liked it"... but it was no fun!!  I spent the rest of the night lounging, doing laundry, and trying to warm up from my rain run!

Saturday I headed to the southern part of CT for my friend Nicole's daughter's (Skylar) dance recital- whose aunt is Daniella- she and I got to chat about races and runs...
Me, Nicole, Skylar, & Jenn
Daniella might be convincing me to do the Princess Run at Disney!  It was nice to see her and catch up about our goals and stuff.  I then continued my tour of southern CT and went to visit one of my college roommates and a couple of her friends for the night.




Golf lesson dorky-ness
Sunday morning I came back to Wethersfield nice and early.  My mom and I had our first golf lesson in the afternoon, so I wanted to make sure I was ready for it.  We both panicked about what to wear, contemplated rushing over to Golfer's Warehouse to find new outfits, but then decided that we were dressed fine.  Our lesson was sooo fun!  Obviously we are not ready for the LPGA tour yet but we both did fairly well.  

After our lesson and a few errands, I got dressed and headed out for my Sunday 3 mile run.  I was around 2.5 miles when I saw an adorable dog running through a busy intersection.  People were driving around the dog and someone even beeped at it and that made me mad.  I ran across the street and got the dog to come to me, found that it had only one tag, with his name, 'Blackie', and a telephone number (which was a Florida number...).  I sat there awkwardly for a few minutes and wished I had my cell phone with my so I could have called the number listed, but finally I saw a young kid on a phone so I asked to use it.  He was definitely creeped out by me- haha.  No one answered the phone at that number, so I thanked the kid and continued to awkwardly sit with the dog (who didn't have a leash on by the way).  Not seeing anyone looking for the dog, I scooped him up and we trekked the 3/4 mile to my house (he was kind of heavy by the end and he definitely peed on me... twice).  I rang the doorbell and my mom looked at me like "ummm explain".  I called my friend who is a police officer, and he told me to call the non emergency line and they'd send someone over. 
Blackie. Isn't he a cutie?
The officer arrived and took Blackie and said he'd drive to the dog park in town and see if anyone was looking for the dog, and if not, take him to the pound.  My mom and I said if no one claims him we would adopt him.  About 45 minutes later the officer came back to my house and let us know that he found the owner, a guy who actually lives on our street, who had just gotten the dog from his late mother in law.  I'm happy Blackie got home safely, but I secretly wish I could have kept him.


Overall... it was a crazy weekend, with two very unusual runs.  As I write this, I'm eating a Lara Bar.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Also... I'm #1314 on the iRun4 wait list!! Moving up so quickly! Have a great Monday everyone.

Do you carry your cell phone while you run? The craziest thing that's happened to you while on a run is _________.

Have you tried a Lara Bar? Please explain your feelings about them.

Did you have a good weekend?

5 comments:

  1. Larabars: literally one of the easiest things you could ever make, ever. They have minimal ingredients, which is great, and they are handily packaged. They're gluten free/paleo-approved/vegan, which is also great! I've tried quite a few, and they're all good. My qualm is that they are owned by General Mills: A company that gives money to stop GMO labeling (thus helping Monsanto continue their creepy food takeover) while also masquerading as a health-food company in the form of Larabar. I can't get behind that, so buying dates and cashews and throwing them in a blender is a fantastic substitution. Plenty of recipes on the google-machine! //end health-nut rant

    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/07/01/recipe-homemade-larabars-4-ways-including-nut-free/


    *Cute dog, minus the peeing!

    **Cute orange shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The shorts are from Target. And they got caught on something on my door handle and ripped after this photo was taken. Sigh.

    Thanks for the info about Lara Bars. Today was my first one so obviously I'll give it a few more tries but I wasn't crazy about the size or the texture. Too small for my liking and too grainy/chewy. I had the banana bread flavor. Only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you had a blog as well- now I have another one to read! Also Blackie was super cute! Also, ALSO- Kelsey is way better at supporting the blog scene than Rachael is haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am very new to blogging but it's fun so far! Blackie was so cute and cuddly and I desperately wanted to keep him :(

      Delete
    2. I'm all over this internet contraption!

      Delete